In addition to the death of a loved one and divorce, guess what people say is one of life’s most stressful events?
If you said moving without giving it a thought, you’ve probably suffered through more than one big move. Relocating a commercial business is even more stressful than residential moving, with expensive computer equipment, office furniture, and important documents to keep track of and safe from damage or loss.
Want more fast facts about moving? Here are 11 interesting facts that may take your mind off the stress of moving.
11 Facts about Moving
1. If the moving company your business hires does not give you a booklet called Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move, it may indicate the moving company is not legitimate. By law, moving companies must provide you with this booklet before a contract is signed.
2. Companies relocating to another state should only use movers that are registered in the U.S. Department of Transportation SAFER system, which offers information about a moving company’s safety record, licensing, and insurance.
3. When you start feeling stressed from the perils of moving, just remember you are not alone. Nearly 45 million Americans move each year, an enormous number that also happens to be the same number as California’s entire population.
4. Hiring a local moving company is easier on your budget (and your nerves) than renting a moving truck and moving everything by yourself. Did you know that professional moving companies include the cost of packing, loading, transporting, and unloading all your stuff in one low bill?
5. It is against federal law for a moving company to hold a customer’s stuff “hostage” in order to extort higher payment after the move is completed. Protect your business against phony movers by learning about the American Moving and Storage Association.
6. If your company plans on relocating between May and September, you may want to start searching for a reputable moving company in April. More people move in spring and summer than any other time of the year.
7. The average weight of stuff moved by one household is about 6000 pounds—or the weight of one average-sized elephant. Depending on the size of a commercial move, that weight estimate could approach two or even three elephants!
8. The top reason for so much relocation happening in the U.S.? Personal reasons (marriage, divorce, etc), followed by job change, retirement, and military/government orders.
9. Something about graduating college makes people want to move out of their home state. Three out of every ten college graduates will relocate within five years of receiving their degree.
10. Friday is the most popular day of the week to begin loading a moving van. Seriously, who wants to move on a Monday?
11. So where are all these people moving? Take one guess. It’s the Sunshine State, of course—warm and sunny Florida. In fact, according to Florida’s official website, an estimated 1000 people take up residence in Florida every day.
Learn more great facts about moving and how we can help your company enjoy a stress-free move by contacting us today.